Well, where do I start. I am currently 17 1/2 weeks pregnant. When I went in for my very first prenatal visit I was 11 1/2 weeks a long. It was just the normal visit but after he listened for the heartbeat he decided to do an ultrasound. (I have gone to this doctor for my two previous pregnancies and I have never had an ultrasound at the doctors office and I only got to have the one where they do measurements about halfway through the pregnancy. Sometime since I had Emma the doctors office has gotten their own ultrasound machine.) We went back to do the ultrasound and as soon as the doctor starts looking he turns to me and says "are you seeing what I am seeing?" I just looked at the screen and said "are those the feet and those the hands?" Of course I wasn't that far along to be able to see any great detail but I couldn't tell what I was seeing. The doctor then said "Nope, those are twins!" To my great surprise I had two little babies growing inside of me. We talked about it for a little bit and I kept saying "are you sure?" and he kept saying "it looks like it to me." You could see the line that showed that they were in two separate sacks. I finally asked "how sure are you that there are two of them?" (I was in complete denial) and he said "I am positive!" I just laid on the bed with tears coming out of my eyes because I was in shock. I had never expected twins. Well, I guess the thought had crossed my mind but I think it probably enters everybody's mind when they first get pregnant, but I never really thought that it would be true. I knew that I was definitely showing a lot earlier than ever before but I figured that was just because this was my third pregnancy. Anyway, I was shocked (and in denial). When I left the doctors office I called Ben. When he answered I said "are you ready for some news?" My voice was a little shaky so he asked if it was good or bad news. I said "it's good news...we're having twins!" He was just as shocked as I had been. When I called my mom she was kind of busy at work but I told her I had to tell her something really quick. I said "I'm having twins" and she said "Excuse me, what did you say?" She was surprised as well. The best was probably when I called my friend Ashley. I told her that I had been to the doctor and that they THOUGHT I was having twins. She asked me why they would think that I was having twins. It sounded really stupid when I answered her and said..."because they did an ultrasound and there are two babies in there." That is when I realized that I was in denial. Later that day I suggested to Ben that we go back in so that he could see the ultrasound. He just said "Brooke...I believe you!" I told him the problem was I didn't really even believe myself! I kept telling everybody at work that I had this feeling that I would go in for my next appointment and that I would have made the whole thing up. I just said don't be surprised if I come back in a month and I am just having one baby! (I did go in a couple of weeks later with Ben and we need another ultrasound just to make sure that everything was alright...and there were still two babies!)
So, that brings us today. I ended up having to switch doctors since my pregnancy is now a high-risk pregnancy and today was my first appointment with my new doctor. I always get a little anxious that something is going to be wrong but when they did a little ultrasound this morning the hearts were beating just fine. Since I am so far along he wanted me to get an ultrasound that measures that babies growth as soon as possible (and I have been dying to get this done because I REALLY wanted to know what I was having). They scheduled me for my ultrasound just later in the day. Of course they did all of the measurements on Baby A first to make sure that it was growing as it should be. Then the ultrasound tech said that she got a good look and was positive that it was a GIRL! When we got to Baby B it wasn't cooperating. They did all the measurements but the baby wouldn't open it's legs. She kept jiggling my stomach to try and get the baby to move but it just wouldn't. Finally we got a little look but still not enough to see what it was. Then all of a sudden it came into view it was a little BOY! We are soooo excited. I wasn't quite ready to give up all of the cute little girl stuff that I have and all of the bows and flowers, but at the same time I knew that it would be fun to have a little boys as well. This is the perfect mix. The babies are both measuring on track so that is a good thing as well. They did tell me that I will have ultrasounds probably every 4 weeks so that they can track the babies growth and make sure that they are growing at the same rate.
This is definitely going to be a new adventure for us and one that I am excited for (most of the time). I do get a little nervous occasionally when I think about how enormous I am going to get and when I think about having two little babies at my house. My girls are SOOOO excited. Ady said to me a couple days after we found out that we were having twins "Mom, how are you going to hold both of the babies?" I just said "that is a great question, but thankfully I have you to help me!"
bathtime bubbles
10 years ago




10 comments:
We are so EXCITED for you!!! Can't wait to see you on Saturday!
Oh wow Brooke!! How awesome. After watching my sister do twins I always felt only really noble women are given that experience - and you definately fit the bill!! so excited for you!
Brooke!!! Yay!! That's SO great! I have this kind of weird premonition that comes over me sometimes with friends and their pregnancies. Last time I checked your blog, I distinctly thought that you might be having another baby sometime soon. (Weird, I know.) So I'm really excited that it was true...and then some! :) Congrats!!!
WOW, and CONGRATS Brooke! Twinners will be great fun for all of you. My sister-in-law just did it the same way, only she had two boys, and added a boy and a girl. It's a busy life, but it's always fun!
Brooke! So exciting to know what they are -- you're right, its the perfect mix! Congrats! Glad you've accepted the inevitable - I'm sure it will be an awesome adventure! :)
Oh I'm so excited for you!!! What a fun adventure!!!
WOW BROOKE! Congrats on the big double news;) That is super exciting~ It's good to catch up with you too! Can't wait to hear more!! Your family is sure cute!
WOW!!! They are going to be so cute! And to think you are so far along... what a happy surprise! Hope you are feeling well.
How exciting! Congrats and good luck.
Holy moly! That is so huge. I'm so so so excited for you. What an adventure. You will be great. Congrats to you and Ben!!
Post a Comment