Last weekend our friends, Jamie and Dave, came into town to hike Angel's Landing in Zion. I have done this hike two other times but never quite made it to the end. For those of you that don't know the last .5 mile of the hike has 1500 foot dropoffs on both sides and there is a chain that lines the trail for people to hold onto. The previous two times I decided to stop where the chains started. I decided this time I was going to try to go to the end.
Our whole group at Scouts lookout (Dave, Jamie, Brooke, Ben, Matt, Ashely, Jill, and Robert). This is the point that I have stopped at the previous two times. There is a nice view from this point and I still think that this is as far as the trail should go!
Ashley, Jamie and I enjoying the hike. We had just hiked up "Walter's wiggles" which is a series of switchbacks. I counted and there were 21 switchbacks (the counting gave me something to do while I was hiking)!
Ben and I!
This is as far as I got. I started going along the chains thinking that I could do it this time. I am extremely afraid of heights and a little while into the chain section I had a break down! I couldn't move so I decided to stop and wait for everybody else as they finished the hike. I found me a nice spot on the side of the trail and watched everybody else. You can't tell in this picture but behind me is the 1500 foot dropoff. While I was sitting there I had to take my mind off of where I was sitting. I laid down for a little while and was just thinking that I was safe and that nothing was going to happen. Then the thought popped into my head that what if a lizard came. Of course a few minutes later I saw a lizard. I ripped a branch from the tree just in case it came any closer. Then a chipmunk came running at me. On the bus they had told us that the most dangerous animals in the park were the chipmunks and squirrels because of the diseases they carry and the fact that they will come right up to you. I threw a rock at the chipmunk and it ran away. I know it sounds really strange but I was frozen on the ledge and knew that I couldn't move too far! I think the worst part of all was sitting there watching people pass each other on the trail. I thought for sure I was going to see somebody fall off. I had to keep looking away because my stomach couldn't take it!After about 30 minutes another person joined me along the trail. He was hiking up the trail and decided that it just wasn't worth it so he stopped and kept me company until Ben returned for me. It was interesting talking to him because he said that every year he takes about 2-3 months off of work and travels around to the National Parks.
I've decided that I don't really want to ever complete that hike. I don't mind doing the first part but I'm not going to try the ending anymore. I know my limits!
Eva, Ady, Emma, and Jack at Nielsons Frozen Custard.We went and got ice cream later that night and all of the kids had fun playing together (except for a few minor injuries).





1 comments:
Brooke you are hilarious! I have never hiked Angel's Landing, but I can picture me doing the exact same thing; sitting on the ledge jumping at every little creature that came close and letting my mind race with all of the tragedies that 'could' happen. I'm glad you stopped when you did. I think you can check that goal off your list!
Post a Comment