background

Monday, March 7, 2011

The past few months round here...

First of all, be careful who you leave your kids with because you don't know what kind of silly things they might end up doing while you are gone:)
My girls have been LOVING their new bedroom. They still want to show everybody who comes over. They get to share a bed (which was a bit of a trial in the beginning, but is working out pretty well now). Every night I go in to kiss them good night after they are asleep and I laugh when I find them cuddled up with each other or their arms all over each other.
Of course they still have to sleep with TONS of stuffed animals. I usually limit it to only two or three, but once I leave the room they must add more!
The girls love playing together (thankfully - they are going to need each other when these babies show up). On this day they decided to play cowgirls like their Aunt Lacy.
They even have the horses to ride on!
When I was putting away the Christmas decorations the girls decided the boxes made a fun toy so they played in them while I TRIED to clean up.

So January went pretty well. We got a lot of stuff done in the babies room. I went through all of the clothes and got them washed and organized and put away. I was feeling pretty good about how things were going. Then came February!

On February 2nd (one week after being told I had gestational diabetes) I went to the doctor. Everything went normal at my doctors appointment. Afterwards I had an Ultrasound. After the ultrasound the tech told me that she wanted to talk to the doctor before I left. While she was trying to get a hold of him (it was lunch time) she told me that she didn't think things were looking very good. Both of the babies were measuring a lot smaller than they had at my previous ultrasound and that they were further behind me in development. The amniotic fluid was low on both but really low on the little girl. Of course this wasn't the news that I was wanting to hear (especially since everything throughout the pregnancy had been going so well). When the doctor showed up he took a look as well and then told me that starting that day I had to be done working. This was a bit of shock to me since I really thought that I would work through 36 weeks and I was only 30 1/2 weeks. He told me that I needed to go on bed rest and that I would have to find people to help with everything...no more cooking, cleaning, nothing except for sitting on the couch. He walked me over to labor and delivery so that I could get a steroid shot just in case they needed to deliver the babies early. He also had me start getting Non Stress Tests the next day just to make sure that the babies were doing okay.

Needless to say, I was pretty devastated by this news. I called my work and told them that I wouldn't be coming back for a long time (thankfully they were very understanding and wanted me to do whatever I needed to do in order to make sure the babies and myself were going to be okay). Everything that I had planned on had suddenly changed and it was hard to deal with...plus the fact that something could be wrong with the babies. Thankfully when I went back in for another Ultrasound 5 days later things were already looking a lot better. It made me feel good about the sitting around that I had to do because apparently it was working. Each week I go in for two Non-Stress tests and my regular doctors appointment. During the Non-Stress tests they check the amniotic fluid around each baby and then monitor their heart rates and activity level.

My cousin had already planned a baby shower for me that happened to fall a couple of days after I got placed on bed rest. I just found a comfortable spot on the couch and didn't move much. It was fun to get out of the house after a few rough days. The shower was just for family and I got a lot of stuff. Thanks so much everybody! It will definitely get used:)
For Valentine's day the girls and I decorated the door for Ben. The girls had fun decorating the hearts and hanging them up. When Ben got home he was definitely surprised and the girls were so excited!
Ady's birthday came at the beginning of March. I had told her that we weren't going to be doing a birthday party for her this year and she seemed okay with that. I asked her the night before what she would like to do for her birthday. She said "maybe we could just go on a walk". I thought that was so sweet and began wondering at what point do birthday wishes start getting so out of control. Unfortunately, going on a walk is one thing that I am not allowed to do. We decided to meet Ben for lunch at the park and let Ady open her presents. My parents were able to come so they could help the girls on the play ground and I just took a comfy chair and sat and watched the girls play.
Ady opening her new roller skates. She was excited to get them and wanted to test them out right away!
The girls playing on the play ground with their grandma.
A couple of Ady's friends came and met us at the park after lunch to play. The girls had a lot of fun. Later that night Ben's parents came over to wish her a happy birthday and bring her some presents. When I asked her later that night how her birthday was she said that it was the best.

The next night we celebrated her birthday with the Beckstrom family. We have lots of March birthdays (3 grand daughters and my brother). This is the cake that I decorated for their birthdays. A little girly for my brother...oh well!
Brice, Ady, Whitnee, & Kalli all have birthdays during the first half of March.
Getting excited to blow out the candles.
We had fun celebrating Ady's birthday. I can hardly believe that she is already 5 years old. I had told her last year that I wasn't going to let her turn 5 and she kept asking me why. After we found out that we were having twins I decided that I would let her turn 5 and she got really excited! Whenever she would ask about when the babies were coming I would tell her "after you turn 5". Now she wants to know why they aren't here yet. On her birthday I told her all about the day she was born and about the first morning they brought her into me with her big blue eyes. It was nice being able to spend the whole day with her (even if we couldn't do a lot). She is a sweet girl and is going to be a big help to me when these babies show up. She is also soooo excited about Kindergarten. The week before her birthday we took her to the doctor and she got to show off all of her skills and show him that she was ready for school. She also got her Kindergarten shots, which was traumatic (or dramatic) but she actually did pretty well, even with all of the tears!

Since I have been on bed rest Ben has had to pretty much do everything around the house - including the cooking. His parents gave him this hat for Christmas but little did we know that he was actually going to become our chef for several weeks.
When he cooks he tells the girls "Daddy's diner is open for business". They get excited and like to get their aprons on as well.
Ben is doing such a good job with cleaning the house and cooking that I told him he can just keep doing it...forever! I actually don't mind cooking but I don't really like the cleaning. I guess that there are a few benefits to being on bed rest (I am trying to find the positives in everything).

It was over a month ago that I got put on bed rest and things are still looking good. I am still on "bed rest" which means that I need to spend as much time as possible sitting. It hasn't been as bad as I thought because I have been able to keep myself busy with all sorts of things. My girls have really been great. I am thankful that I have such a supportive husband who is willing to do whatever he has to to help me get through this. I am also grateful for my family and Ben's family who has helped so much. They are always willing to take the girls when I have doctor's appointments or just to get them out of the house so they don't have to be bored at home with me. I also have some great friends who have been so helpful. It has made me realize once again just how lucky I am to have so many people around me who care. I am currently 35 weeks and should only have about 2 weeks left before their arrival. I think that I am officially ready!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear you are on bed rest. Glad things are going okay and that you are surrounded by great people.

Andi said...

Brooke...I've been wondering how you are. I hope things continue to go well. I'll keep you and your babies in my thoughts and prayers.

Kaer said...

Fun pics, We're excited to meet your little babies. Glad things are going well.

The Roylance Family said...

You are amazing! Hang in there...our thoughts and prayers are with you and your sweet family. Ben is such a great guy to pick up the slack that you can't do. I think bed rest would be so great...for about two days. You have such a great attitude. Good luck with everything!!!

The Harrises said...

Congrats Brooke on your twins! Hope you're doing well and that bed rest has been helpful!